Try the following transcription tips for minimisation of unintelligible words or phrases:
- Try and transcribe in a quiet area
- Speak clearly into the dictation machine
- Spell any unusual and foreign names
- Pause the dictation machine if you need to take a break or find further information
- When pausing the machine, allow it to run on for a couple of second before stopping the machine and then on restarting, allow it to run for a couple of seconds before speaking. This will ensure that none of your dictation is clipped.
- It is helpful if you insert your own punctuation (eg, say ‘full stop’, ‘comma’ or ‘new paragraph’) as it will help the document to read easily. If you don’t want to dictate this, that’s fine, we’ll put in our own grammar as we see fit.